Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lighthouse: A Great Collaboration


 Lighthouse

Well, folks, I have had my first experience remotely collaborating on a music piece. It has been a lot easier to pull of then I would have expected. With modern professional tools, good internet and SoundCloud, it was a snap technically.

But I digress. Eve Williams and I have labored to produce a collaborative Piano/Vocal track. I am very happy with the outcome, and hope you will be too. Let me start by saying that Eve is a very talented vocalist with a great voice.

Our collaboration started with me composing and arranging a piano track. I used my MacBookPro, Logic Pro 9 and my Alesis QS8 to lay down the track. I mastered modified the EQ slightly to remove a couple of peaking points, and mastered my bounce to .WAV format. So now, the piano instrumental track was laid, next stop, time for Eve to do her magic.

I uploaded the piano track to my SoundCloud profile, but set it as a private track and added Eve Williams as the only person that could access the track. This worked out great, since the .WAV was over 50MB large and couldn't easily be sent via email. We corresponded via a email to hash out the details, Eve went to work on the vocals and lyrics. Using her Pro Tools she recorded her vocal track over my piano, mastered and sent the music back. Awesome sound music was born.

Given that we are in different countries on completely different continents, I thought it was very cool to be able to pull something like this off.

I shared our collaboration with my wife, Kimberly, and and our kids. They loved the piece. After some more correspondence, Eve and I decided to go ahead and push the new track to SoundCloud. If you'd like to hear our creation, you can do so at http://soundcloud.com/clinton-stevens/lighthouse-featuring-vocals-by.

Also, I'm an Eve Williams fan (I've favorited several tracks). Her music can be found on SoundCloud as well at http://soundcloud.com/evewilliams

Well that's all for now folks, hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment